Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

November 12, 2012 (Veteran's Day)

Today is a day of remembrance of our veterans.  I am a Vietnam veteran (although I did not serve in the war) but I loved serving my country.  However, while in the service I always struggled with my weight.  I was on the "weight program" and even though I was very discipline in my military career, I lacked discipline in my ability to control my eating and weight.  During that time, I hated exercise.  I dreaded the running that was required of us twice a year.  I struggled to reach the Air Force's requirement and always barely made it.

I have come a long way.  I still struggle with controlling my eating.  It's especially a challenge with being gluten free. Learning how to eat right but not too much of the higher fat items that are offer in gluten free.

Exercise wise, I am in a totally different head space.  I really look forward to my workouts with Lisa.  It's hard....sometimes it painful but the sense of accomplishment gives me such a rush that I feel like I can conquer the world.

Unlike my weight loss journeys in the past, when I couldn't wait to get to the goal, this journey to figure competition I'm very patient and in no rush.  I'm not sure why this is but I like the idea of the long term goal and how there will be a continuous transformation taking place along my journey.  While it may be small changes, I have no doubt they will be noticeable, if not to me, to others.

Thank you to all my fellow veterans for your dedication and service!

2 comments: